Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Repair and Restoration

Recently I've found another artistic venue -- instead of turning old bombs and car parts into furniture and sculpture, I'm turning old furniture into . . . furniture again.  I'm currently working on a series for clients (and a few for myself) that focus on either repairing old pieces to their former glory or transforming them into something new.  For example:

An original side table, with 'charming' upholstry.
The above table, re-finished and upholstered.

Detail of a Japanese cabinet set (probably from the early 1900's) where the wood panelling had split.  It had been in San Francisco (humid) and moved to Salt Lake City (dry), and the accordingly the wood contracted perpendicular to the grain causing the damage.


One of the really fun parts of restoration is finding the hidden stories of old furniture.  When I disassembled the cabinet doors, I found this writing underneath.  I haven't found someone to translate it yet, but apparently it is very old and contains the character for 'slope' -- perhaps a geographic description of where it was made, or where the wood came from?


An uncommon and difficult joint on the cabinets -- a mitered and tennoned half-lap joint. 

I'm now seeing some of my original pieces from years ago return for refinishing -- this is particularly true of outdoor furniture which sees sun, rain, and snow.

This is the bench re-finished, and now with a coat of ecologically kinder and personally healthier no-VOC finish.


No comments: