Friday, December 3, 2010

The Canyon Table -- Part 2


I try to prototype like I vote – early and often.  The sooner I can see what the materials/volumes/finishes are going to do, the better design decisions I can make.

The Canyon Table will have a map of the topography formed by the Green and Colorado Rivers.  It is a location that is important to me, as well as a metaphor for our journeys through life, their twists, and confluences with others.

3D modeling programs have their place, and as an artist I find them useful for a quick, inexpensive gut check as to sizes and shapes that might work well.  Google Sketchup is intuitive and has a ton of on-line support.  After that stage, I have yet to find a good replacement for actually trying scraps of the material I will use.




No comments: