Friday, September 3, 2010

Refined Recycling

Why not just go to the store and buy new steel, wood, and paint to make art? 

It is easier, takes less time, and in some cases would cost less than using re-purposed (or recycled, upcycled, found-object, insert various other terms) material.

I have found that using other objects to make new ones (tables from wood pallets, planters from bomb fins, sculpture from bike gears) brings out the beauty of the original material.  .40 cal ammunition shells are quite elegant when looked at closely.

Found stuff has been an inspiration to lots of folks, and not just in terms of physical sculpture.  The following are some of my favorites who celebrate the innate beauty of something they find rather than buying it new or re-cloaking it in paint:

These folks get the emotion imbued in motorcycles, and celebrate it dents and all.  They were more than willing to give me a tour of their digs in Copenhagen even though they were in the middle of moving (Ducati, on the other hand, gave me the cold shoulder when I came to visit them in Bologna).



If there’s something harder to make beautiful than trash on the sidewalk, I don’t know what it is.




Even if you don’t like getting nature all over you, check out Andy Goldsworthy’s work.  I highly recommend the film Rivers and Tides as well.




No comments: