Friday, July 16, 2010

Ammo Table, Part 1

I get a lot of questions about how I get my ideas for sculptures and furniture.  I have yet to find a way to describe my creative process simply or concisely, hence this journal to show my internal (and external) wrestling matches that bring about a new piece.

Recently I’ve been thinking about how to choose what materials to use for building tables.  Michael Pollan started his fantastic book ‘The Omnivore’s Dilemma’ with the simple question:  “What’s for dinner?”  Possible answers have expanded greatly in the past 100 years.

Similarly, the vast array of materials that can be formed into a flat surface for a table have also multiplied.  Plastic, concrete, metal, wood, glass, Styrofoam cups, etc, are all readily available as are the tools to form them.  Each material has its own personality.  But, like blind dates, personality only goes so far.

I tend to gravitate toward repurposing materials that are imbued with some sort of emotion, and to use them in large multiples.  I also look for materials that are available where I work and low-cost.  Here’s a diagram to illustrate what I mean:



So, now I’m off to find 10,000 small-arms ammunition casings.  Any ideas?


No comments: